-Intense, excessive and persistent worry and fear about everyday situations. Fast heart rate, rapid breathing, sweating and feeling tired may occur.
Essentials of Diagnosis:-
• Excessive perspiration.
• Skeletal muscle tension—Tension headache, backache.
• Sighing respiration.
• Hyperventilation syndrome—Dyspnoea, dizziness,paresthesia.
• Functional gastrointestinal disorders—Abdominal pain, diarrhoea, constipation.
• Cardiovascular irritability—Transient systolic hypertension, tachycardia, fainting.
• Genitourinary dysfunction—Urinary frequency,dysuria, impotence, frigidity.
• Patient feels very sick/frightened during a short period.
Anxiety is a key part of several different disorders. These include:
• Panic disorder:-experiencing recurring panic attacks at unexpected times. A person with panic disorder may live in fear of the next panic attack.
• Phobia:- excessive fear of a specific object, situation, or activity
• Social anxiety disorder:-extreme fear of being judged by others in social situations
• Obsessive compulsive disorder:- recurring irrational thoughts that lead you to perform specific, repeated
• Separation anxirty disorder:- fear of being away from home or loved ones
• illness anxiety disorder :- anxiety about your health (formerly called hypochondria)
• Post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD): anxiety following a traumatic event
-Give attention to the root problem of the patient.
– Tab Diazepam (Valium or Calmpose) 5 mg tds. or Tab Lorazepam (Larpose, Ativan, Trapex) 1 mg tds.
or Tab Chlordiazepoxide (Librium) 10 mg tds.
or Tab Alprazolam (Alprax, Alzolam) 0.25 mg 1 mg daily.
or Tab Oxazepam (Serepax) 15 mg tds.
or Tab Buspirone (Buscalm) 5 mg tds.
– Antipsychotic agents, effective against anxiety asso- ciated with high distractibility.
– Tab Melleril 10 mg tds.
-In anxiety associated with depression tricyclic antidepressants are effective.
Tab Imipramine 25 mg tds.
or Tab Amitryptiline 10 mg tds. or Tab Doxepin 10 mg tds.
or Tab Chlomipramine 10 mg tds.
-Antidepressants are effective in anxiety associated with depression. Tab Tryptomer 10 mg thrice daily.
What natural remedies are used for anxiety?
• getting enough sleep
• staying active and exercising
• eating a healthy diet
• staying active and working out
• avoiding alcohol
• avoiding caffeine
• quitting smoking cigarettes