AMINOPHYLLINE (Aminophylline 250mg Injection)
Aminophylline 250mg Injection is used to treat and prevent symptoms of asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder (a lung disorder in which flow of air to the lung is blocked). It helps in relaxing the muscles of the air passages, thus widening it and making it easier to breathe.
Store below 30°C
Aminophylline 250mg Injection is given as a slow injection into veins or as drip by the doctor. The dose and duration will depend on what you are taking it for and the severity of your condition. Your doctor will decide how much you need to improve your symptoms. Get the injection for as long as it is prescribed. Do not miss any doses, in case you missed a dose, get it as soon as you remember it. Your doctor may get regular blood tests to monitor the level of medicine in your blood.
The most common side effects of this medicine include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, feeling restless or irritable, tremors, increased urination, headache, insomnia. If these bother you or appear serious, let your doctor know. There may be ways of reducing or preventing them. Generally, it is advised to avoid alcohol or do not smoke while on treatment with this medicine.
Before taking this medicine, let your doctor if you have kidney or liver disease or if you have heart-related problems. Your doctor should also know about all other medicines you are taking as many of these may make this medicine less effective or change the way it works. Inform your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding before starting the treatment.
Uses of Aminophylline Injection
Aminophylline 250mg Injection is prescribed for:
- Treatment and prevention of Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
Benefits of Aminophylline Injection
In Treatment and prevention of Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
Aminophylline 250mg Injection helps the airways in your lungs stay open. It relaxes the muscles of these airways. This makes it easier for air to get in and out. It will relieve symptoms such as tightness in your chest, shortness of breath, wheezing and coughing and help you carry out your daily activities more easily. This medicine is safe and effective. It usually starts to work within a few minutes and the effects can last up to several hours.
Side effects of Aminophylline Injection
Most side effects do not require any medical attention and disappear as your body adjusts to the medicine. Consult your doctor if they persist or if you’re worried about them
Common side effects of Aminophylline
- Insomnia (difficulty in sleeping)
- Frequent urge to urinate
All substitutes for Aminophylline 250mg Injection
For informational purposes only. Consult a doctor before taking any medicines.
No substitutes found for this medicine
How to use Aminophylline Injection
Your doctor or nurse will give you this medicine. Kindly do not self administer.
How Aminophylline Injection works
Aminophylline 250mg Injection is a bronchodilator. It works by relaxing the muscles of the airways and widens airways. This makes breathing easier.
Is it safe to consume alcohol while using Aminophylline 250mg Injection?
Caution is advised when consuming alcohol with Aminophylline 250mg Injection. Please consult your doctor.
Is Aminophylline 250mg Injection safe to use during pregnancy?
Aminophylline 250mg Injection may be unsafe to use during pregnancy. Although there are limited studies in humans, animal studies have shown harmful effects on the developing baby. Your doctor will weigh the benefits and any potential risks before prescribing it to you. Please consult your doctor.
Is Aminophylline 250mg Injection safe to use while breastfeeding?
Aminophylline 250mg Injection is safe to use during breastfeeding. Human studies suggest that the drug does not pass into the breastmilk in a significant amount and is not harmful to the baby.
Is it safe to drive while using Aminophylline 250mg Injection?
Aminophylline 250mg Injection does not usually affect your ability to drive.
Is Aminophylline 250mg Injection safe in kidney disease?
Aminophylline 250mg Injection should be used with caution in patients with kidney disease. Dose adjustment of Aminophylline 250mg Injection may be needed. Please consult your doctor.
Is Aminophylline 250mg Injection safe in liver disease?
Aminophylline 250mg Injection should be used with caution in patients with liver disease. Dose adjustment of Aminophylline 250mg Injection may be needed. Please consult your doctor.
Interaction with drugs
Taking Aminophylline with any of the following medicines can modify the effect of either of them and cause some undesirable side effects
AdenosineAdnet, Atp UP, Adenoject– LIFE-THREATENING
AllopurinolUrinol, Zeric, Seloric – SERIOUS
- You have been prescribed Aminophylline 250mg Injection for prevention and treatment of asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
- It is given as a slow injection into veins or as a drip under the supervision of a doctor.
- It does not work right away and should not be used to relieve sudden breathing problems. Always keep a fast-acting (rescue) inhaler with you.
- Your doctor may take regular blood test to monitor potassium level and the level of this medicine in your body.
- Notify your doctor if you have ever been diagnosed with kidney, liver or heart disease, or if you have a smoking history. Your dose may need to be adjusted.
- Do not discontinue use without consulting your doctor, even if you feel better.
Chemical Class-Methylxanthines & Theophylline Derivative
Action Class- Theophylline & its derivatives
- Boushey HA. Drugs Used in Asthma. In: Katzung BG, Masters SB, Trevor AJ, editors. Basic and Clinical Pharmacology. 11th ed. New Delhi, India: Tata McGraw Hill Education Private Limited; 2009. p. 345.
- Briggs GG, Freeman RK, editors. A Reference Guide to Fetal and Neonatal Risk: Drugs in Pregnancy and Lactation. 10th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer Health; 2015. pp. 53, 1350-51.
- Aminophylline. Gloucester UK: Hameln Pharmaceuticals Ltd.; 1990 [revised 23 Jan. 2015]. [Accessed 01 Apr. 2019] (online) Available from:
- Chaves RG, Lamounier JA. Breastfeeding and maternal medications. J Pediatr (Rio J). 2004;80(5 Suppl):S189-S198. [Accessed 01 Apr. 2019] (online) Available from:
- Central Drugs Standard Control Organisation (CDSCO). [Accessed 01 Apr. 2019] (online) Available from:
- TATA 1mg https://www.1mg.com/drugs/aminophylline-250mg-injection-543154