Any of a group of conditions in which the stomach lining is inflamed.Causes include infection, injury, regular use of pain pills called NSAIDs and too much alcohol.
Essentials of Diagnosis:-
• Asymptomatic or vague non-descriptive upper abdominal distress.
• Mild epigastric tenderness or no physical findings whatsover.
• Ulcer or cancer like syndrome, often with gross hae- matemesis.
• Gastroscopy shows mucosal atrophy as evidenced by visualisation of blood vessels through mucosa.
• Biopsy shows varying degrees of atrophy and infil- tration of lamina propria with lymphocytes and plasma cells.
For atrophic gastritis causing B12 malabsorption and pernicious anaemia Injection vitamin B12
-Anti-ulcer regimen, i.e. antacid, anticholinergic, H2 receptor blockers and mild tranquilizer.
-For achlorhydria 1 to 2 tsf of dilute HCl in fruit juice sipped with meals.
-Avoidance of alcohol, tobacco, spices and hot foods.