Post Covid Care: Ways to Improve Health
It is important to take good care of your loved ones during and after a covid condition. As a result of the severity of the virus attack, the covid symptoms may disappear within 4 weeks (acute COVID-19) or last up to 6 months (post-covid). This blog will help individuals affected by covid to understand the ways to improve their quality of physical and mental well-being.
Commonly Reported Post Covid Symptoms
Effects of COVID-19 on Health
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Severe weakness
- Clouded judgment or thinking
- Excessive hair loss
- Multiorgan system effects include cardiovascular, pulmonary, renal, dermatologic, neurologic, and psychiatric
Post Covid Care
- Diet – It is important to take healthy and nutritious food to boost back the immune system and fight off future infections. Thus, it is recommended to take 1.2-1.3 g/kg of protein per day along with a 50% increase in the supplementation of branched-chain amino acids so as to prevent muscle loss and enhance the strength of respiratory muscles.
- Healthy lifestyle – Avoid smoking and intake of alcohol and stay hydrated.
- Exercise routine – The best type of exercise is to walk for 10 minutes, slowly increase the duration, and stop exercising if you feel breathless. And one also should not overexert themselves.
- Practice mindfulness and meditation.
Here is how to practice mindfulness:
Take some deep breaths. Inhale through your nose to a count of 4, hold for 1 second, and then exhale through your mouth to a count of 5. Repeat often.
Take a walk. As you walk, notice your breath and the sights and sounds around you. As your worries and thoughts enter your mind, acknowledge them but return to the present.
Relish mindful eating. Pay attention to the taste, texture, and flavors of every bite, and listen to your body when it signals hunger or fullness.
Find mindfulness resources in your local community. Find yoga and meditation classes, books on stress reduction, and mindfulness-based programs.
- Follow-up tests and medication
Home tests – Monitor temperature, SpO2 levels, blood pressure and blood sugar levels for the first few weeks after a successful covid negative report.
Clinical tests – IgG antibody test, complete blood count, vitamin D test, glucose and cholesterol test, chest scan and cardiac screening.
(note: Consult your healthcare provider before taking up the test)
Vaccination Post Covid
Any laboratory proven COVID-19 cases should defer vaccination (both first and second doses) until 3 months after recovery. And those with serious general illnesses requiring hospitalization or ICU stay should wait for 4 to 8 weeks after they have recovered from these illnesses.
- Visit, https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/clinical-care/post-covid-conditions.html for more information.
- Also, check https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/long-term-effects/index.html